Carrot Cookies

 These cookies are soft, crumbly and just sweet enough with a pleasant crunch from the carrots to satisfy a hankering for one's sweet tooth. I'd compare these to maybe a very soft scone or a moist biscuit. If you prefer more sweetness, a glaze would go nicely drizzled over these cookies. My sugar preference is on the lighter side so I actually enjoy these sans any glaze or frosting.



Growing up, my mother wasn't much of a baker and I don't recall her making too many cookies (plus, she limited my sugar intake anyway, so that probably factored into it), but this recipe was one she made several times to give to other people or to bring to events and I was always so disappointed knowing I'd only get a taste of one or two before they'd be whisked off to a church potluck.
Fast forward several years later, and as an adult I found myself wondering where that recipe was. At this point I couldn't ask my mom as she had already passed away, and my dad had no idea where she got the recipe from. I am ecstatic to share that after scouring every single cookbook in my parents' kitchen, I finally found the coveted *recipe...and what a pleasant surprise to discover how amazingly simple they are!
Without further ado, here it is...my favorite carrot cookie recipe:

CARROT COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1-3 tsp orange zest (the orange goes SO well with the carrot, I go for 3 tsp!)
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder

DIRECTIONS
Set oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a greased baking sheet with butter or nonstick spray. Cream sugar and butter together until thoroughly combined; add egg, shredded carrots and orange zest. Next, sift flour, salt and baking powder and add to the wet mixture. I use a cookie scoop that amounts to around a tablespoon to scoop one dozen for the first round. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Makes a little over 2 dozen cookies. Enjoy!

*Recipe from American Cookery by James Beard

Comments

  1. Yum! These sound absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! I love recipes that are meaningful. 💕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts