Viola's Crunchy, Bumpy Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's hard to just eat one of these cookies - whenever I make them, we have to eat at LEAST three before walking away.  Because this cookie has carrots, oats and apple juice, I like to pretend it's good for me, and therefore, it's perfectly suitable for breakfast, a snack...or anytime I feel like it:) 


My husband's grandmother, Viola, would make these cookies so often, we came to expect and look forward to them each time we would visit her.  She was a wonderful cook and I always felt cared for and so welcomed in her kitchen and home.  I think of her whenever I make these cookies.

Gratefully, she shared her recipe with me and the rest of the family (I have no idea of the origins of this recipe, but as it goes, I am sure it became her own, just as I have made my own tweaks and discoveries making these over the years) and I'm ecstatic to share it with others.

In addition to tasting good, I love that these are so easy to make AND...no stand or hand mixer necessary!  This may not mean anything to you, but as a mom who tends to do late night baking, I appreciate anything that doesn't require turning on noisy appliances when the rest of the family is asleep:)  A little elbow grease is needed when adding the mix-ins, but nothing unmanageable.

CRUNCHY, BUMPY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup apple juice or cider
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups quick oats*
  • 1 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a greased cookie sheet. 
  2. Beat the softened butter and brown sugar
  3. Add the egg, juice and vanilla extract; beat until relatively smooth - but no worries if there are small clumps and looks too liquid-y. Once you add everything else the consistency will even out.
  4. Sift flour, salt and baking soda.  Gradually add to the brown sugar mixture
  5. Stir in the carrots, chocolate chips, oats and crispy rice cereal.
  6. With a cookie scoop, spoon about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie onto the sheet and flatten with the back of a spoon.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes (I think 12 minutes is perfect) or until done.
*NOTE:  I like to grind the oats in a blender, mainly because I don't care for the texture of whole oats in cookies.  But if you do, no need to do this step.

Makes 2-3 dozen

Please let me know if you make this recipe and let me know in the comments!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts