The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies

 These are the only chocolate chip cookies I'll make if I want to take a trip down memory lane to those cookie stands near the mall food court back in the 80s and 90s.  I can still remember that amazing smell and the still-warm-from-the-oven cookie in a paper bag in my hand.  If my mom ordered a carton of milk to go with it, then it was a perfect day.

To me, crunchy around the edges, chewy in the center and just the right amount of salt and the perfect amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips makes for the quintessential chocolate chip cookie.




For so many years, I tried various recipes determined to find the most perfect chocolate chip cookie.  I can't remember now exactly when I found the closest one, but I've tweaked it over the last few years and I think it's a winner.  But if you still don't believe me, I'll share that I made a bunch of these once for a church bake sale and was told afterwards that they ALL sold out before the sale even got started! I get a lot of great feedback on these cookies.  They are best straight out of the oven and with a tall, cold glass of milk.  Good luck eating just one.


THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES 


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 sticks of salted butter, softened (you can also use unsalted, but will have to add another 1/2 tsp of salt)
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling on top
DIRECTIONS

  1. Set oven to 360 degrees F. Cream butter and sugars together with either a handheld mixer or stand mixer
  2. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, powder and salt all together.  Add half to the wet mixture and stir.  Add the last half (this is where my hand held starts working hard!) until all is combined.  This makes a lot of dough!
  4. Add the chocolate chips.
  5. With a tablespoon or so-sized cookie scoop, place a dozen scoops of the batter onto a well greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper).  Sprinkle Maldon sea salt onto each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes (11 minutes seems to be perfect for my oven).
  6. When taking out, give the sheet a little bang on the counter or oven rack to let the air bubbles out.  Let cool for 5 minutes.  Devour.
Makes around 4 dozen cookies

Comments

Popular Posts