Teriyaki Chicken Bites with Spicy Chili Crisp

 For me, this recipe hits the spot when I'm craving something Asian but really do not want to wait a long time or put in a lot of work for dinner!  Chicken thighs coated in cornstarch make for just the right amount of crispiness on the outside, but still tender on the inside.  The sauce is simple, but knocks it out of the park for me every time that at this point, I'm pretty much using some version of this sauce for anything "Asian".


I like to make the sauce first: a mixture of soy sauce, minced garlic, sugar, vinegar, ground ginger and my favorite part...chili crisp!  I'm not sure why, but it seems like the moment I discovered chili crisp, of course I started seeing it everywhere and in every food blogger's recipes.  Also...why didn't I discover chili crisp sooner?  It doesn't matter - we've been introduced and now it makes an appearance in everything, plus a little extra for me since my spice tolerance is much higher than my family's.

Once I make the sauce, I set it aside and start cutting the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces, then toss them in a medium sized bowl with some cornstarch until all the pieces are well coated.  I drizzle some olive oil (you can also use vegetable oil, which is typical for Asian dishes; I avoid seed oils to pacify a certain family member who is a health freak) in a large nonstick pan on medium high heat; drop the chicken pieces in and spread out evenly so not even one piece misses out on that amazingly delicious crispy crust!  I patiently let the chicken cook without stirring for at least a few minutes.  After 3-5 minutes, flip the chicken over and toss around.
Take the sauce you made earlier and pour over the chicken.  Let it get all bubbly and lower the heat to simmer.
Once the sauce becomes a little thick and glaze-y and the chicken is cooked through, it's time to get all of it in your belly.  But first, slice some scallions for a garnish and have some steamed rice ready to go.  You could also serve this with some steamed or roasted broccoli, bok choy or minced herbs for greenery!

TERIYAKI CHICKEN BITES WITH SPICY CHILI CRISP
Serves 4
Cooking time:  30 minutes or less

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1-1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2-3 TBSP cornstarch
FOR THE SAUCE:
  • 3/4 cup soy sauce (regular or low sodium)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup vinegar (apple cider or rice is fine)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp or 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • *1 TBSP chili crisp (found in the Asian aisle of any grocery)
*If you don't like too much heat, minimize this to 1 tsp; but if you like even more, feel free to increase it or just add chili crisp to your own serving -- it's so delicious!

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.  Set aside.
  2. Cut the chicken thighs into pieces and toss in medium bowl with the cornstarch.
  3. Heat 1-2 TBSP of oil in a large non-stick pan.  Add the chicken and layer evenly in the pan to allow it to get crispy.  Let it cook for 3-5 minutes before flipping pieces over.
  4. After flipping the chicken, pour the sauce, stir and let it simmer for a few more minutes, or until the sauce thickens and gets bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
  5. Serve with a green side or sliced scallions and steamed white rice.  Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts