Crowd-Pleasing Banana Bread

This is a classic banana bread recipe from one of my go-to baking bloggers, Sally's Baking Addiction. I love how incredibly simple it is, and it just gets better after a few days, too!  Even banana skeptics like myself and my daughter really love this one, and it is perfection with a glass of milk or cup of coffee:)





What I've learned over the past 15-20 years of cooking and baking in the kitchen - and love - is there is always another recipe to discover, and always something to improve upon.  It's no wonder there are a million food blogs, cooking shows and an endless amount of cookbooks out there!  I continue to enjoy stumbling upon each person's special recipe and appreciate the time and effort they took to perfect it for the rest of us to enjoy and share with our loved ones.

This banana bread is one I've made a few times now, and it always disappears fast.  I made it for my daughter to sell at her lemonade stand last summer and just last week, and it was very popular, as well!


BANANA BREAD

Makes around 8 thick slices

INGREDIENTS

- 2 cups all purpose flour

- 1 tsp baking soda

- 1/4 tsp salt

- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

- one stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened

- 3/4 cup brown sugar

- 2 large eggs

- 1/3 cup of plain yogurt or sour cream

- 2 cups mashed bananas (or 4 ripe bananas)

- 1 tsp vanilla extract

- large handful of chopped nuts, like pecans or walnuts; or 1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)



DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x5 inch metal pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2.  In a stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar together.  Add the eggs, yogurt or sour cream, mashed bananas and vanilla extract until just blended.  
  3. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon) in a bowl together. Add to the wet mixture. Do not over mix. If adding extras like nuts or chocolate chips, stir in with a rubber spatula.
  4. Pour and spread batter into the pan and bake for around 60 minutes.  I find that when I add chocolate chips, I have to bake for a little longer, closer to 1 hour and 10 minutes or so.
  5. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.  Slice and enjoy:)






 

Comments

Popular Posts