Salmon Patties with Crispy Capers

 These salmon patties are super quick and easy to put together - perfect for a light lunch or dinner or as an appetizer.  This is a one bowl situation and can be ready in about 20 minutes, served with your favorite dip or sauce and yummy, crispy capers sprinkled on top!



I've made these salmon patties twice this week already, and both times were the result of poor planning and then slight panic as to what I could possibly make quickly, but also enjoy...and well, maybe I should be a poor planner more often because I SO enjoyed these both times.

The short ingredient list includes:

  • canned salmon
  • onion
  • green pepper (optional)
  • eggs
  • rice krispies cereal
  • bisquick
  • lemon juice
  • kosher salt and ground pepper
The first time I made this, we had it with a chipotle crema sauce I already had on hand; I liked it...others weren't so sure about it, ha!  It was a tad spicy for my husband, so he whipped up his own yogurt dill and cucumber sauce, which was also very complementary. 
The second time I made these, I whipped up a green goddess sauce...and I also loved that combo, as well!
All of that to say...serve these with whatever you're in the mood for; they're also delicious just by themselves with a squirt of lemon juice.



SALMON PATTIES (WITH CRISPY CAPERS)
makes 6-8 patties

INGREDIENTS:
  • Three 6 oz cans of canned salmon, drained and flaked
  • 1/2 yellow onion, grated
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup rice krispies cereal
  • 1/2 cup bisquick
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper (optional, if you want a little green in your patties!)
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • butter or oil, for pan frying
FOR THE CRISPY CAPERS:
  • 2-3 TBSP capers
  • 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
  1.  Mix all ingredients in a bowl and form patties (you can alter the size depending on how few or many you want, but I try not to make them too large, otherwise they crumble a bit in the pan)
  2. Melt 2 TBSP of butter in a large non-stick pan on medium high heat.
  3. Cook patties on each side for around 2 minutes, or until you see a golden brown crust.
  4. In a separate, smaller pan heat the evoo on medium high heat and fry the capers for just a few minutes - they will get crispy and browned quickly.  Remove from heat.
  5. Serve with a sauce or dip of your choice and the capers on the side.  Enjoy!


Comments

  1. We called these salmon croquettes. I used salmon, eggs, (either cracker crumbs or oats), salt, pepper, onions. Love them as a child with the crackers and as an adult with oats added. We ate them as a child with potatoes, gravy, and other vegetables. As an adult I eat them with baked sweet pot atoes, greens. I purchased 24 cans bogo at Publix with a best-by date of Sept. 2027. ($2.25/ 14.75 can). So, we can eat once every two months or every few days, whatever we want. I just now put a can on the counter for the weekend so I won't forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Croquettes sound much more sophisticated than "patties", lol. The way you ate them as a child sounds delicious.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts