Apple Spice Bundt Cake

 This not-too-sweet but still delicious cake has been a staple dessert every Thanksgiving at my house for several years; but in my opinion, it's appropriate for any occasion where you might get a craving for a simple and easy to make cake. It's so satisfying with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee after dinner (do people still drink coffee in the evenings?); for a quick and indulgent breakfast OR a little snack in the afternoon:)



So I know it's only the beginning of September, but for me, it is unofficially time for all things Fall:) This is the perfect recipe to kick-start the season: it is a low maintenance recipe, it is no-fuss and comes out exactly the same each time I make it, and most importantly of all - it's really good!



I found this recipe on a blog I used to follow several years ago (unfortunately, it no longer exists to share the link), and when I brought it to my parent's house for Thanksgiving, my late mom - who, like me, didn't have much of a sweet tooth - declared this her favorite thing and told me to make it every Thanksgiving.  The best compliment ever!

So when I make this, I think of my mom and how much she loved it, and I remember all the ways she encouraged me to keep cooking and trying new things.  I miss her immensely.


APPLE SPICE BUNDT CAKE

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups apples, chopped (I use Gala apples)
FOR THE GLAZE (optional):
  • 1 stick butter (I use salted)
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
CAKE DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a bundt cake pan.  Set aside.
  2. In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat together sugars, oil, vanilla, and eggs until well combined.
  3. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Add flour mixture to wet mixture.  Mix until well combined. Gently stir in chopped apples.
  5. Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Bake at 350* for 70 minutes.  Insert a toothpick or knife down center to check for doneness.  The toothpick/knife should come out clean.
  6. Allow cake to cool 20 minutes before inverting it onto a wire cooling rack (or a large plate).  Once cake has been removed from the oven, start making your glaze.
  7. When cake has been inverted onto the wire rack and is warm, pour your glaze over the cake.  Cool cake completely before serving.  *This cake is best made the day before serving, or the morning of.  Tip from original author: Put a large piece of wax paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap under the wire rack.  That way, when you drizzle the glaze over the cake you won't make a mess.  
GLAZE DIRECTIONS:

Combine butter, milk, and brown sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat.  Stir continuously until well combined.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.  Mixture should be completely melted.  Remove from heat and allow to sit while your cake cools.

Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts