Award-Winning Chili

 This is a classic chili recipe, but with just the right amount of spiciness, sweetness...and just about everything else!  The name isn't just to get attention either -- I entered a local chili cook-off a few years ago with this chili and it won 3rd place!



I stumbled upon this recipe when I was trying out various chili recipes for our little town's chili cook-off.  After making this, my family and I agreed this was the best one out of all the ones I tried.  And although it only won third place, I am still partial to it and reach for it over and over again.  I'm almost too scared to mess with it because each time I make it, I literally cannot think of any way to improve this!  The spiciness is just right that even my kids can eat it; there is just the right amount of brown sugar for sweetness; and in my opinion, it has the perfect ratio of meat and beans (I know some people dislike beans altogether in their chili...sorry, can't help you here).

So, while I love trying out new chili recipes and I'm always game for anything -- this is one that goes into my regular rotation because it's just reliable, and I never have leftovers for long when I make this.



AWARD-WINNING CHILI
serves 6

INGREDIENTS:
  • 5 strips bacon (uncooked), chopped
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ¾ teaspoons ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cayenne pepper
  • 1 ½ cup beef broth
  • 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
  • 7 oz can fire roasted green chilies
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • the following toppings are optional, but take the chili over the top: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions or chives, corn chips.
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cook the chopped bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy.  Remove onto a plate with paper towels.
  2. Add the onion and red pepper and cook until soft.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the beef and break apart; add the sugar and spices, while continuing to cook the beef.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients, including the bacon, and mix well.
  5. Bring to a boil, while stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
  6. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for around 30 minutes.
  7. Serve with toppings and enjoy:)


Recipe credit and thanks to Sugar Spun Run

Comments

Popular Posts