Easy Mongolian Chicken

 This is one of my favorites!  I could seriously eat Mongolian chicken every single day.  What's not to like about tender, crispy, bite-sized pieces of chicken covered in a delicious, simple sauce finished off with green onions?  Just perfect.


If it were just me, I think I could eat Asian food (any type -- Chinese, Thai, Indian --I love it all) all the time.  Growing up with a Chinese dad, rice was a requirement to accompany dinner every evening...even if we were having pasta or food that really didn't go with rice.  I'm sure my mom didn't understand it, but she accommodated; as a result, I'm super partial to rice.  It's a problem!

Anyway!  My husband really loves this dish (one out of two kids likes it -- the other one is going through a "phase") and I know it's a good one when we hardly have any leftovers the next day.  I would definitely double this recipe if you enjoy having leftovers for a few meals.



EASY MONGOLIAN CHICKEN
serves 4

FOR THE CHICKEN:
  • 1 1/2 lbs chicken (I prefer thighs, but you can also use breasts) cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion cut into 8-10 wedges
FOR THE SAUCE:
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced (fresh) ginger (and if no fresh ginger on hand, use 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4-6 green onions cut into large slices
DIRECTIONS:
  1. In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and chicken together until every piece is coated.  In a large pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and add the chicken in an even layer.  Cook until both sides are golden brown (I try not to stir too much and leave each side alone to cook for a few minutes before turning).  Remove from the pan and set aside.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon of veg oil and add the onion wedges.  Cook for a few minutes and add them to the plate of chicken.
  3. Add the sesame oil to the pan and reduce the heat to low.  Cook the ginger and garlic; add the rest of the ingredients (rice vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar).
  4. Whisk the cornstarch and water together -- add to the pan and mix with the sauce until it thickens.  Add the chicken and onions back into the pan and combine until evenly coated with the sauce.  Add the sliced green onions and serve with rice.  Enjoy!

Credit and thanks to Small Town Woman for this delicious recipe.
original recipe found here

Comments

Popular Posts