Everything in the Cupboard Cookies

I had a craving the other day for a cookie with a little bit of everything: gooey chocolate chips, a little something crunchy and salty, and just sweet enough without being painfully sweet. This is the version I came up with!


I'm a sucker for a good old-fashioned chocolate chip cookie most days-- but sometimes I also need to change it up, too!
There are lots of versions of "kitchen sink" cookies and I adapted this recipe from one I've made before by Gaby Dalkin.  I've altered some measurements and substituted ingredients to cater to my own taste.
 Ever find yourself with bags of chips or pretzels that aren't quite empty enough to throw out, but empty enough that no one wants to eat them anymore, either?! I desperately wanted these unwanted bags of chips and lonely pretzels out of my house, but there was still enough to make me feel guilty about being wasteful-- and so in they went into these cookies, along with some ground up oats and rice krispie cereal. Guilt about wastefulness averted AND I made myself a tasty treat. Yessss.

EVERYTHING IN THE CUPBOARD COOKIES
makes 4 dozen cookies

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup crushed potato chips
  • 1 cup crushed pretzels 
  • 1 cup rice krispie cereal 
  • 1 cup oats, ground
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup M&Ms (I like to use different color M&Ms depending on what holiday is around the corner)
DIRECTIONS :
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
  2. Cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer until well mixed.  Add eggs and vanilla extract.
  3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and powder and kosher salt together.  Add gradually to the wet mixture until evenly blended.
  4. With a strong rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the mix-ins two at a time (potato chips and pretzels; rice krispie cereal and oats; chocolate chips and M&Ms. I do this mainly to save my arm from too much stir-fatigue!).
  5. With a cookie scoop, drop around 1½ tablespoons of dough for each cookie.  Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges (my first batch tends to bake on the longer side while subsequent batches finish a little sooner). Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts