Delicata Squash with Crumbled Goat Cheese

 The easiest side you'll make this Thanksgiving, delicata squash is equal parts creamy, sweet and more perfect accented with the tartness and creaminess of crumbled goat cheese.  I add a drizzle of maple syrup that helps caramelize the edges; is this a dessert or a side dish? I don't know! But you need to try it.


I'm ashamed to admit I had never tried or even heard of delicata squash until last fall, when I picked some up at the local farmers market and figured I could find a recipe for it later.

OMG.

I've been a fan ever since.

Maybe my most favorite trait of delicata is that there is no need to peel the rind - it softens as it roasts and I actually love the chewiness of it. Adding maple syrup brings out that chewiness.  Don't you love it when an ingredient is so simple on its own you barely need to add anything to it to make it complete?  For me, that sums up delicata squash.  I think I need to write an ode to it, I love it that much.


DELICATA SQUASH WITH CRUMBLED GOAT CHEESE
(serves 4)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 delicata squash, sliced in rounds and seeds removed (no need to slice off the rind)
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 2 ounces goat cheese
  • red pepper flakes (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
  1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  On a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil over the squash and sprinkle salt and pepper - mix until well coated.  Drizzle the maple syrup over the squash. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
  2. After squash bakes, let cool and sprinkle crumbled goat cheese all over. If using, sprinkle as few or as many red pepper flakes as desired. Serve immediately OR this can be served at room temperature, as well. Enjoy!


Comments

  1. That looks yummy! Now to find a delicata squash around here(won't be easy). If it was a steer or a mudbug or boudin that would be a piece of cake. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw you were in OH recently! Oh man, I could have dropped some off for you! Hope you are doing okay.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts