Butter Bean Salad


I've made elaborate salads before, but sometimes it's nice to just to keep it simple: butter beans tossed with Persian cucumbers, grape tomatoes and red onion is an uncomplicated, yet satisfying, dish that is wonderful as a side or just a light lunch or snack to tide you over.



 My entire life, I've prided myself in not being a picky eater.  Except for lima beans.  I've always insisted that lima beans are my least favorite food and until recently, I was pretty sure I've never cooked with them in the last twenty years.

Until I sat down to type out this recipe and realized I was TODAY YEARS OLD when I learned that butter beans ARE lima beans! DOH! 

I guess I was just eating lima beans the wrong way throughout childhood, because this butter bean salad? I've been making it for years! YEARS.  We all have our ditzy moments, I guess.

Anyway. Butter beans are a favorite and I love the contrast between the crunchy cucumbers and onion with the creaminess of the butter beans.  I simply add olive oil, salt and pepper - and that's it!

BUTTER BEAN SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cans of butter beans, drained.
  • 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
  • half a red onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 cup of grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning (optional)
  • kosher salt and pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  1.  In a medium serving bowl, toss all ingredients together well. Add salt and pepper to your personal taste and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts